Submissions New stuff about submissions below: please read, especially if you've submitted something in the past few months and have not gotten a response.
Because of the overwhelming number of submissions to JACK Magazine, and the high number of pieces that we solicit, we would like to discourage unsolicited submissions unless you follow the guidelines below. Only submissions that follow these requirements will receive a reply (mainly 'cause we're swamped!):
- Read JACK and understand the scope of the magazine. Sure, it wobbles onto cluttered sidewalks and forested trails, but doesn't publish angst or diary entries.
- Spell-check your work; fix grammatical errors prior to submitting your work.
- Send your writing only in a Microsoft Word document that clearly shows the formatting (indents, italics, and so on). Please do not send your writing in the content of an e-mail.
- Do not indent first lines of paragraphs.
- Em dashes should be coded as two hyphens.
- Use only one space after each sentence.
- Title each piece of your work.
- Do not send separate files for each piece of work. Send one document with all your pieces of work on it.
- To submit graphics, send a sample of your workno more than 1 megabytein a zipped file. Only send jpg or gif images. Include a caption for each image.
- Poetry is more likely to get rejected at this point (or at least held onto for a while) because poetry is the biggest submitted genre of work! That's not to say that we don't want poetry; we do! However, we'd also like to see more essays and reviews. We are mainly looking for essays dealing with politics, spirituality, and ecology, and historical literary periods. We are also accepting reviews and articles about avant garde art, music, travel, films, books, and so on.
- Include a bio with your first submission.
- No work will be published that has, or is currently, elsewhere published online, except under special circumstances.
- Send your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have sent a submission in the past few months, and haven't heard from us but are still interested in submitting your work, please re-send your submission. I have gotten two viruses since the last issue, and have deleted all the attached files in my mail program's directory. I am no longer accepting any attached files at email@example.com (though feel free to use this e-mail address for other feedback regarding the magazine). Yahoo has an automatic virus scanning device for e-mail attachments, and in order to protect my hard drive against viruses, I am going to safeguard and use my Yahoo e-mail address for all submissions. Any other attachments coming to either my firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com will be deleted. Thanks for your understanding.
- If you do not hear back, and you have followed these submissions, feel free to nudge us three months later. JACK is published semi-annually, and there's a lot going on between-times.
- JACK Magazine is a non-profit literary magazine that does not offer monetary payments for its contributions (we would, if we could, believe me). We are happy to help you plug your work, give you exposure, post your URLs, place book cover scans, etc. All submissions are copyrighted by the author.
- At this time, JACK is an online publication only.
Home Editorial Feature Credits Eco-Watch Essays Fiction/Nonfiction Poetry Politics Renaissance Reviews Road Tea Party The Path Links Archives Submissions Contact Store